Wednesday 12 October 2011

Challenge Itinerary

Tomorrow is the start of my challenge to run 100 miles in 5 days over the Himalayan mountain range.  I am all packed (all 40kgs) and ready to go.  I thought I should let you know what the breakdown of the days events are; starting from tomorrow through to my return home at the end of the month.

I will also try and update the blog, Facebook and my twitter page while I am away.  During the race itself, I am doubtful I will have a signal, but if I do I will certainly tweet away.  You can follow me on twitter @RunEverest.

Day 1 - Thur 13th Oct
Depart from Inverness airport in the morning, heading to London.  Hotel overnight at London Heathrow.

Day 2 - Fri 14th Oct
Depart London Heathrow at 1015 to arrive in New Delhi at 2315. (India is 4.5 hours ahead).  Overnight stay in a hotel at the airport.

Day 3 - Sat 15th Oct
Depart New Delhi at 1055 to arrive in Bagdogra at 1435.  A jeep will pick us up and transfer us to the Mirik Lake Resort.  We will be accommodated in 2 man rooms and we will stay there until Tue the 18th Oct.  A little rest is planned here, ready for the following days.

Day 4 – Sun 16th Oct
This day will be our first full day’s acclimatisation to the altitude, however we are only at 5500ft.  The plan is to go for a gentle run to see how hard it is to run at altitude.  The remaining runners will also arrive today and there will be a briefing held in the evening.
Day 5 – Mon 17th Oct
Our bags have to be packed and ready to be moved to our Tuesday overnight location at 0700.  However we will still be staying at Mirik tonight.  We have the option of a day trip to Darjeeling (7000ft) which leaves Mirik at 0530, which we plan to go on.  An early night is planned in preparation for tomorrows run
Day 6 – Tue 18th Oct (Race Day 1) 24 miles
We depart Mikik at 0530!! A 1.5 hour drive will take us to the start of the race at 6600ft.  The race starts at 0730, after a Tibetan ceremony blessing all participants.  We will run 24 miles to Sandakphu (11815ft).  Sleeping arrangements for the run are sleeping bags and we will be staying in bungalows with no hot water for two nights.  The temperatures are expected to be between 10C and -3C overnight.
Day 7 – Wed 19th Oct (Race Day 2) 20 miles
We will be up at 0500 to watch the sun rise over 4 of the world 5 highest peaks before we start the race at 0700.  Overnight Sandakphu.
 Day 8 – Thur 20th Oct (Race Day 3) 26.4 miles
The race starts at 0645 and ends at Rimbik (6350ft).  We will be staying overnight here in Sherpa Lodges.
Day 9 – Fri 21st Oct (Race Day 4) 13 miles
A slightly later start at 0900.  Today we will run down to 4975ft before running back up to 6560ft at Palmajua, which is the end of the 13 miles.  We return by bus to Rimbik for another overnight stay.
Day 10 – Sat 22nd Oct (Race Day 5) 17 miles
Breakfast is at 0530. At 0630 we return back to Palmajua by bus before starting the race at 0730.  We will finish the race at Manebhanjang (6600ft).  From here we will return to the Mirik Lake Resort by bus where a prize giving will be held.  Overnight Mirik.
Day 11 – Sun 23rd Oct
We return by jeep to Bagdogra airport in the morning.  We depart Bagdogra at 1335 and arrive in New Delhi at 1740.  From this point onwards it is the start of a week’s holiday For Aaron, Claire (Aarons wife) and I.  My mate Dave will be flying out to meet up with us.  We will be collected by a chauffeur before being taken to our hotel.
Day 12 to 16 – Mon 24th to Fri 28th Oct
We will be touring the Golden Triangle of India, which includes Delhi, Jaipur and Agra.  We will see sights such as the Taj Mahal, the Amber Fort and take an elephant ride.  We return to Delhi on the Friday.
Day 17 – Sat 29th Oct
Aaron and Claire depart for the UK in the morning while Dave and I depart for the qualifying of the Indian Grand Prix in Delhi!!
Day 18 – Sun 30th Oct
Dave and I will once again be heading into Delhi to watch the first Indian Grand Prix.  After the race we will be returning to the hotel to pack.
Day 19 – Mon 31st Oct
We will be returning to Delhi airport to depart at 0330 for London Heathrow, arriving at 0715.  I will then be catching a connecting flight at 0845 to Aberdeen.  On arrival at Aberdeen I catch a train to Forres.  A long journey and then a hop skip and a jump into bed (if I can still walk).
I hope this gives you a rough idea of my journey over the 19 days.  I will be sure to add more detail of each day, either when I return or while I am out in the wilderness.
Thanks for all your support and wishes of luck.  I will definitely need loads of luck and definitely loads of pain killers.

No comments:

Post a Comment